How to Buy a Silencer with a Trust

Transferring a silencer to a trust is pretty much the same as transferring to an individual, but you must also fill out a Responsible Person Questionnaire form (Form 23) for each person on your trust. Also, you’ll need to actually have a trust. If you wish to create a trust, we recommend that you consult with a reputable firearms attorney.

If you decide to transfer to a trust, here’s the quick version:

  1. The dealer selling the silencer sends it to your local dealer.
  2. Your local dealer files an ATF Form 4 with your fingerprints, along with Responsible Person Questionnaires with photos for each person, and your trust documentation.

If you are buying from us online and shipping the silencer, we are the selling dealer.
If you are buying from someone else and transferring the silencer with us, we are your local dealer.
If you are buying from us and picking up the silencer directly from us, we are both dealers.

With that out of the way:

The complete process for buying a silencer:

The first step is transferring the silencer from the store you are purchasing from to the dealer doing your transfer. You won’t need to do any paperwork for this step.

If your residence is in the state of Maine and you can make the trip to Falmouth, you do not need to find a dealer. We can transfer the silencer to you directly.

  • If you are purchasing a silencer elsewhere, and your residence is in Maine, we can be your local dealer. Contact us at or (207) 370-9344 and give us the seller’s contact info so that we can get them our dealer information.

Once the two dealers have contacted each other, we will file the necessary paperwork. Your local dealer will contact you when they are ready to continue the transfer process.

Your local NFA dealer should be able to help you with the following steps:

  • Complete three (3) copies of BATFE Form 4 (5320.4, Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm). We recommend you/your dealer use the ATF Form 4 Generator at <> which has been developed by members of the industry and the ATF to reduce the number of errors on Form 4s. Two of these go to the ATF, and one gets sent to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO, usually the Chief of Police or Sheriff)

Don’t forget to sign and have your dealer sign all three copies in the required locations. Only one responsible person needs to sign the Form 4. You don’t need to attach photos to the form 4. Be sure to fill out the payment information for your tax stamp on the first copy. The second copy and the CLEO copy don’t need your payment info.

  • Complete two (2) copies of BATFE Form 23 (5320.23, Responsible Person Questionnaire) for each person on your trust. One will go to the ATF, and one goes to your CLEO.
  • Acquire one (1) passport-style photo for each person on your trust. Have a recent photograph sized 2 by 2 inches printed out for you at a pharmacy or other photo center. Attach one to each of the Responsible Person Questionnaires intended for the ATF. Your CLEO copy doesn’t need your photograph attached.

  • Complete two (2) copies of FBI Form FD-258 for each person on your trust. These are fingerprint cards. They may be taken by any business or government agency equipped to take them. The most common place to have them taken is at your local police department. Your dealer may provide the cards, but the ATF will mail you Fingerprint cards for free if you request them at <>. Make sure to request form FBI FD-258LE – NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0800

  • Print out one (1) copy of your trust documentation. This will be sent to the ATF.

Finally, mail out your documents:

Your CLEO should receive:

  • The copy of your Form 4 labeled CLEO Copy

  • A Responsible Person Questionnaire for each person.

If every responsible person does not have the same CLEO, each of the CLEOs needs to be sent a Form 4 and the Responsible Person Questionnaires.

The ATF should receive:

  • Two (2) copies of your Form 4.

  • A Responsible Person Questionnaire (with photo attached) for each person.
  • Two (2) FBI FD-258 Fingerprint cards for each person.

  • If you are not paying for your stamp via credit/debit card, send your $200 dollar check made out to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

  • A copy of your trust documentation.


That’s it. A bit more work than for an individual, but it’s not too bad. Please, don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you have.